VBS: Friend or Foe?
Last night, oh last night...
What an adventure. Three words, Vacation Bible School, enough said. Yes, my friend. All week I've been helping out with 6th grade VBS class. As of my last posting things were insane, and let me tell you, it only got better as the week progressed:
Monday night - Carter Creek Aerofit Pool Fiasco and Hamburger Cookout. I was attacked, punched, and splashed no less than 5000 times in the 45 minutes I was actually dumb enough to be in the pool at the same time as the children. But hey, it was fun.
Tuesday Night - MSC Bowling Botch. We started the trip off right by smashing the top of our van into the ceiling of the Koldus parking garage. Turns out it wouldn't fit in after all. Then the real fun began with children running all over the basement, in their socks, screaming like banshees. They pushed, pulled, threw 15 lb. balls at each other and I'm fairly certain that at one point someone shoved their friend down the lane toward the pins. HA!
Wednesday Night - Wal Mart Shopping Slip-Up. 4 teams, one mission, buy the most items a homeless family could use in 40 minutes without going over $25. This would've been fun had the children not been running amuck and trying to purchase things like X-Box games and DVD's for the people. All in all, it was a good evening, though. Insane, but good.
P.S. My team won BOTH the dollar amount AND the number of products amount (they didn't know what they'd be facing with a college student shopping at Wal Mart - we're CHEAP!)
AND THEN THE CROWNING ACHIEVEMENT OF THEM ALL!
Thursday Night - Water Game War (emphasis on the war). It all started out as an innocent giant slip 'n' slide and a few games (such as tug of war and fill the bucket). It ended up with the nicest kid (I mean, this guy was the sweetest, best behaved guy the whole week) dumping 10 buckets of water on me, two on one of the other ladies, another one on another lady and then a huge one on the head of the department. Oh, and let me not forget the two rotten eggs that were smashed on my body by the said "good child". It was really hilarious - the kid went psycho nuts on us. I had soap from the slip 'n' slide in every crevass of my body - EVERY crevass. That was quite an "interesting" experience to say the least.
The kids had a great time, and despite all my ravings, I did too. I really hope that we made a difference in their lives, and that they learned a little soemthing along the way, but if not, we gave it the ol' college try.

1 Comments:
Wait...who managed to not get a single bucket of water pourend on him? Who infact managed to stay completely dry, and did not have to endure a massive soap wedgie? Oh yeah... that would be me. B-)
Post a Comment
<< Home