3.05.2005

Junie B. Oh good gosh...

The good news is that the performances of Junie B. Jones this afternoon were awesome! I don't think I've seen an OPAS Jr. production by TheaterWorks USA that was any better - exceptional, really!

Which brings me to the rest of the shenanigans. First there was the mother who left her own (approx. 6 year old) daughter sitting in the dark theater while she took the girl's friend to the bathroom. Said daughter then looks around, realizes her mother is gone and then starts crying and makes her way to the top of the theater where she is intercepted by one of our guys - he tries to calm her to no avail, so i go over and offer to sit with her on the top step to wait for her mother to return. The mom finally does get back, and after realizing she's sent her daughter into a panic attack, apologizes and then sits with her kid for 5 minutes and then proceeds to go to the complete other side of the auditorium to sit on the empty front row...good grief.

Next, the friendly photographer. You see photos and recordings aren't allowed during a performance. This isn't because we want to rob our patrons of their memory making potential, or because we're just plain mean, it's because it's illegal. Let me repeat that - I-L-L-E-G-A-L. It's because all aspects of the show are copyrighted. As I informed the woman who was taking pictures the last 4 minutes of the show she was very surprised, and actually looked somewhat sheepish as she explained to me her "ignorance" in understanding that she thought that since the performance was over it was ok. It wasn't. Then I got to take her name and number in case the production company asked us about it...that was fun :P.

Which leads to fun time number 3. Let me just say that girl scout mothers are insane. And while that's probably sufficient explanation let me expound. Picture a group of 10 girl scouts, in full uniform, crowding (and trying to get onto) the stage. Said mother, at least 400 lbs, trying to take a picture of them, with HER CAMERA PHONE (which is really where the irony lies...it's not going to be a great picture from your phone, lady). I tell her she cannot do this, since usually the no pictures rule continues following the performance, and so she waits until I look away and then starts grouping them up for the picture again. Again I tell her no and she cops her attitude. Enter the actress who plays Junie who tells me that pictures are ok. So I politely tell the woman she can proceed...to which she replies in the most cocky, snide girl scout mother attitude laced voice "What a surprise...What do you know". I wanted to hit...but I didn't stupid girl scouts...keep to your cookies and stay away from me. (just kidding, mostly).

On a side note, the actors were so awesome - we all played with the OPAS puppets before the show started and got to visit between shows for a few minutes. They were so much fun and very friendly. Makes me want to go out on tour! :)

...what a day!

That's all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home