11.08.2005

My encounter with J.A.

So back when I was student teaching (I say that like it was FAR longer ago than last week that I was doing that) I had a student who I'll call J.A. He was a great guy, really funny, chronically tardy, a bit "informal" with his writing (I suppose I could put it) and totally and completely into all kinds of world religions. He intrigued me, and still does...and I often wished I could hear from him about his religious beliefs. Well as it turns out, today as I went to vote (at a MUCH delayed, and more than slightly random time from my original intent) I ran into J.A. at the polling place - I was absolutely shocked to see him there, and just thought it was cool. We exchanged "hello's" and then proceeded to the polls. I hung around outside the elementary school library where we voted long enough to talk to him briefly.

He came out and after some brief banter, he was like "so what did you vote for?"

I played stupid and said, "a couple of things."

"Well we all know what we came here to vote on, I mean, I only voted for one thing."

I didn't really want to go into my vote - I feel strongly that it's a personal thing, but he retorted with, "I mean, I guess since we're not 'teacher' and 'student' inside of the classroom anymore, we can talk about our beliefs"

My interest was piqued. "All right, what would you like to talk about?"

What ensued was an almost hour long discussion about our stances on the marriage issue, various religious ideas, etc. And no fewer than three times was I able to lay out the gospel to him...what my Christianity means to me, what I belive, why I believe it, how it has affected me, how it can affect others, why I think it's the only truth, and on and on it went! IT WAS SO AWESOME!! Man, earlier today I was talking with Kelly Adams from OPAS about the need for boldness in my sharing the gospel, and then 3 hours later God drops one of my students into my path, and there is NO doubt in my mind that God orchestrated the timing, a student who I had made a really cool connection with in the classroom, and who is looking for truth, and who was genuinely interested in what I had to say.

It is such a reminder to me how excitingly exhilarating sharing your faith can be - I only pray that I can do it more and more and that I will have continued boldness and trust that God will give me both the opportunities and the words to do so!

Dude, GOD IS AWESOME!!

that's all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Eric! That is so awesome. Hope all is well in B/CS!

11 November, 2005 08:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home