7.28.2004

hubcap mishap

Isn't that a catchy title?  I was impressed...you're probably not, but that's ok. 

You are now, undoubtedly, on pins and needles wondering what the title of this post could suggest...so here it goes.

Yesterday, I left work, went over to my car in the garage, you know the drill.  As I was driving down Houston Street to get to George Bush, I heard this AWFUL noise (upon hindsight this sounded suspiciously like a noise I heard on the way back to Graham this spring, when #1 was lost).  It was like I'd run over something glass or plastic, or some similarly horrific item.  I looked in my rearview mirror, nothing there, as I stopped at the red light, I opened my door, looked back again - nothing there.  My first thought was that a tire had exploded or something.  But the car was still driving ok, and still looked ok...I was just praying that if it was a tire, that it would stay inflated till I could get my tired butt home to fix it.  I decided to swing by target and Old Navy on the way (which considering the tire situation wasn't my smartest move) and then I, as I exited my vehicle...I saw it, the horrible realization hit me like a ton of bricks.  That horrible noise that I heard? 

It was MY HUBCAP!! 

I lost one in May, and apparently this guy didn't want to be alone on the Driver's side, so he jumped ship.  I was about ready to just throw all the rest away, claim that someone stole them and turn it in to the insurance, but then I realized that no one really steals crappy factory installed mini-van hubcaps. 

I went back after my group meeting last night, and there, about 150 feet from George Bush, he lay, face down in the bike lane.  Satisfied with himself - that he'd accomplished the feat, sad - that he'd been discovered, yet happy - that he was no longer alone.

I taught him a lesson.  I kicked him back onto the tire and told him not to try that again.  That there would be repercussions if he did.

I think he listened - he hasn't popped off again.

that's all.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home