7.20.2004

sterling street - goodbye, tchuse, adieu

Last night I came to the awful realization that in a little less than four weeks I will be leaving my house on Sterling Street here in College Station.  To many, those who harassed and ridiculed me relentlessly about living in "the ghetto," or at the very least the "edge of the ghetto," this would not be an important nor monumental occurence.  However, to me it is.  There are so many things that I will miss about Sterling.  The yapping dogs at 3 in the morning, barking for no apparent reason, but to be barking.  The Old man walking the 1 1/2 year old boy down the middle of the street each morning.  The little old ladies who frequent their front porches and stare at you as you drive by.  The "Night Life" car (that's really its name-it's plastered across the back window) that belongs to my neighbor.  The congregations of people in front yards, and more often the street.  The wonderful dip that bottoms your car out every time you turn onto my street, and for that matter, into my driveway.  The homedone brick mailboxes that look more like the work of a 5 year old than a brick mason.  The neighbors son who does flip-flops in the strip of green grass between our houses.  The incessantly large amount of cats who take over the world around 9 pm each night.  And the children running around my house, and through my backyard unannounced. But perhaps most of all, the bike man who rides up and down the street at, quite literally, all hours of the day, night and morning.   These things are what makes Sterling what it is, they are what make Sterling "the ghetto."  I hope that someday I'll be able to give back to Sterling just a little of what Sterling has given to me.
 
that's all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home