speiken zie Deutsch?
Grüss Gott! (God's Greetings!)
I sit in Steyr (pronounced Schtey-ahr) having just finished helping with the Baptistenkonference this weekend. I feel so blessed to be here. Our schedule has been non-stop since we arrived here on Wednesday, after a total of 11 hours in a plane and then 5 hours on 3 different trains to get here. The people have been so wonderful, and especially kind to my ignorance with the language. Most people under the age of 60 or so, speak english, though are hesitant to use it with us since they feel their knowledge of it is not good. However, once they see that my Deutsch (German) is even worse, they often open up! The children and youth are especially fun to interact with. Speaking of, we have visited a classroom and plan to visit many more over the summer. I made the class "lieufballoons" (balloon animals) while Adrienne (the missionary who has been here since December) worked on a lesson in English with them. The 14-15 year old boys were very excited to get swords, and started acting out scenes from Star Wars!
My first two nights here I stayed with a couple from the BaptistenGemeinde (Baptist Church) here in Steyr, Gerhardt and Anita. She is actually the president of the Austrian Baptist Convention, and they were in charge of the conference this weekend. They were so nice to open their home to me. I enjoyed a wonderful bread/butter/marmalade breakfast on Friday! Since the apartment I was to live in fell through at the last minute, I will now reside in the Jugendherberge (Youth Hostel) the rest of the summer. It will be an interesting experience since I will have new roommates each night. There are 6 beds in each room, open to anyone who comes to the herberge. The last two nights I have shared a room with a very nice young Canadian man. He spoke some English, so that was nice! I am excited about the opportunites for me to minister to the staff at the Herberge as well as the guys who will share my quarters. I think I'll probably be ready for a private bathroom again, though, by the end of the summer!
I met so many wonderful Austrian people at the Baptist Conference this weekend. Especially some of the youth that I will see again at Jesus camp in July. I helped them with the Jugenderkonference (children's conference) on Saturday. We played games, and I made balloon animals for the children. It was so much fun, especially to see the excitement on their faces as I made a "lieufballoon" just for them! I managed to increase my German vocabulary in the process- learning various German words for animals the funniest was "schlonge" (pronounced shlong-a) for snake! I also got to work with Iris and Lukas, the two "superstars" of the youth group at the church here. I look forward to getting to know both of them, especially Lukas more closely. I met him when I was here before and was able to bring him two books of Praise and Worship music for his guitar - he was so excited! I hope that we can have a "jam session" or two at the church with me on Piano and he on his guitar. I think my craziness has helped many of the people I have met to open up to me quickly. As you know - I've never been one for shyness. The Austrian Baptist churches are small in number, only about 2000 total members, but this is wonderful, because they are like a family - everyone knows everyone! I'm glad to be adopted into that family!
I am trying hard to pick up some German here and there. I hope to know at least some come the end of the summer. We'll see. The grocery store has proven to be a good place for this! Plus i've been able to do some cooking on the side with the VERY limited kitchen at the church here in Steyr. There have been some difficult times, but overwhelming I feel like I am exactly where God wants me and can use me most. I pray that all I do is to His glory! I covet your prayers more than you know! I would ask that you pray specifically for me to learn the language as much as is necessary quickly and easily, and for me relationship with Lukas. I know that he needs someone to disciple him and I pray that I can be that example and help to him while I am here and even after I leave. We are all very tired from the weekend and still from travelling, but I know that the Lord will give us strength to carry on! On that note, and in closing, I'd like to share a verse that Robin, a missionary from Canada who is my age that I met this weekend at the conference, and who is staying in Linz, Austria, shared with me. I think that it really sums up how I feel right now:
"They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, 'Their hands will get too
weak for the work, and it will not be completed.'
But I prayed, 'Now strengthen my hands.' "
Nehemiah 6:9
May this be my prayer - that all that I do, say and think be from God's strength, wisdom and guidance in my life.
Auf Wiedershen, Tchüse, Bye-Bye
that's all.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home